As soon as I heard that the makers of Cowspiracy were making a film about health called ‘What The Health’, I was excited. Cowspiracy was a seriously amazing documentary that helped me know that going vegan was the right decision to make. When I saw that there were tickets to actually go and see the film premiere at The Astor Theatre, I knew I needed to go. I booked my tickets and waited in anticipation.
Before I begin, I already knew that being vegan brought a whole wealth of health benefits. I knew red meat was bad, dairy was bad, but when it came to things like chicken, fish and eggs, I wasn’t so sure. I knew it couldn’t really be that good for you, but I didn’t know why. I didn’t have any facts, and research didn’t bring me much information. The health industry seemed to confirm they were okay, so maybe when it came to health, these weren’t so bad for you. I’m a vegan for ethical reasons so it didn’t matter too much to me, but I still liked to know, and it always helps to know when I’m being interrogated by meat eaters.
However, this film has completely changed my view on everything. Quite simply, if you want to live a long and healthy life, you need to be plant based. No animal products. The negative health implications of eating animal products are just too great.
After seeing this film, it makes me deeply uncomfortable when I see just how clueless the world is, and how society has programmed people to think that you need animal products. Because, you don’t, and they are the cause of your health issues. You can get everything you need from a plant based diet. You’re not going to die of a protein deficiency. You aren’t going to get ill. You aren’t going to get weak. In fact, quite the opposite. Meat causes inflammation in your body; if you’re an athlete, removing animal products from your diet will see you get stronger and fitter.
What is absolutely insane to look at is how corrupt these industries are. For example, did you know that dairy can promote the growth of cancer cells? Yet, you’ll actually have probably seen a pink ribbon on a yogurt pot, the company showing their support, despite them being the problem in the first place. If you go on a website for cancer, or diabetes, or heart disease, you’ll see recipes for healthy living, but these recipes will contain the very products that are causing the problem. There so many studies showing that eating animal products are the causes, but these companies continue to promote the very things that are making people ill. Why? Because these companies are being sponsored by the meat, dairy and egg industry. Unfortunately, the world is corrupt, and it is damaging your health.
When someone gets ill – maybe they have a stroke, have high blood pressure, or get diagnosed with cancer -, doctors immediately look for the solution, not the cause. How about we look at the reason people get these problems in the first place? Yes, of course, sometimes this is genetic, but only a very small percentage (for example, did you know only 5-10% of cancer is genetic?). More should be being done to try and stop these illnesses happening in the first place, rather that having to fix the problem once it arises. And, without sounding like some crazy conspiracy theorist, this is because hospitals want you to get ill. Because they make money when you do.
Watching this film has lit a fire in me. When I look around and see people in my social media news feeds thinking they’re eating ‘clean’ with a plate full of chicken, or egg, or cheese, I want to scream. When I see people taking pills to keep themselves alive because of a health condition they have, and which they assume is due to genetics, I want to shake them. So many people are misinformed, doing the very opposite of what they should be doing to live a long and healthy life. Of course, not everyone who eats these products is going to get a disease and die, but it’s a game of Russian Roulette. And one that I would prefer to not be a part of.
Below are some of my favourite stats from the film. I hope this is enough to pique your curiosity to sit down and give it a watch. Perhaps you think some of the things I’ve written above makes you think I’m crazy and misinformed; then that is even more reason to watch it. You’ll view the world very differently once you have. If you’d like to see some more interesting facts, or find out exactly where the studies come from, check out the What The Health’s facts page.
- A World Health Organisation report has classified bacon and sausage (and other processed meat) as carcinogenic to humans – the same as smoking a cigarette. And yet, the American Cancer Society promotes eating processed turkey and canned meats
- 70% of deaths and morbidity are largely lifestyle related and preventable
- One serving of processed meat per day increases your risk of developing diabetes by 51%. Yet the American Diabetes Association promotes ‘healthy’ recipes containing red and processed meats
- Eating 1 egg per day is just as bad as smoking 5 cigarettes per day for life expectancy
- The strategy of the meat, dairy and egg industry is to confuse the public, to introduce doubt not unlike the tobacco industry
- Fish have become mercury sponges, and toxins bio-accumulate in fish flesh
- Milk does not build strong bones
- Dairy is linked to many different types of cancer
- Dairy products increase the risk of cancers related to your hormones, and increases a man’s risk of getting prostate cancer by 34%
- For women who have had breast cancer, one serving of dairy a day can increase their chance of dying from the disease by 49% and dying from any disease by 64%
- A low fat, plant based diet is more than twice as powerful at controlling and/or reversing diabetes than the ADA diet that recommends meat and dairy
- The USDA has admitted that eggs can’t be legally labeled: nutritious, low fat, part of a balanced diet, low calorie, healthful, healthy, good for you, or safe
- All protein is initially made by plants
- When you adopt a plant based diet: you can stop and reverse heart disease, lower your cholesterol within a few days and lower your blood pressure
- A study of 174 consecutive patients with high blood pressure who all adopted a plant based diet all managed to lower their blood pressure enough to eliminate need for medication
- If you eat meat, the chance of getting diabetes is 1 in 3, the chance of getting cancer if you are a man is 1 in 2, and the chance of getting cancer if you are a woman is 1 in 3
Want to live a long and healthy life? Want to perform better at the gym or in your favourite sport? Then go plant based. The studies are there, the facts are there; the industries just don’t want you to know. As the tagline for ‘What The Health’ goes, it’s ‘the health film that health organisations don’t want you to see.’
You can download the full film over on the What The Health website.