Maybe about a year ago, I was around at my grandparents house, looking through some of my Nan’s old recipes that she had cut out from magazines. There were some delicious looking ones in there. As I was looking through, I came across a handwritten recipe for ‘Wonderbites’.
Deceptively easy, it was just a few ingredients that you threw together and cover in chocolate. From the list, I already knew this was going to be good, so I snapped a photo and forgot about it.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I wanted to try something new, and remembered this recipe. I knew it was going to be quick, which was perfect, as I didn’t want to spend hours over a hot stove. I went and bought the ingredients, came back, and made these.
They look simple, and actually, a bit plain. But they are deliciously tasty morsels made up of vegan marshmallows, coconut and other perfect goodness. Clearly, these are not anywhere near the ‘healthy’ spectrum, but as a treat, they’re great. Similar to my vegan rocky roads, they’re the perfect dessert to get little ones involved in. They’ll love mixing it all together and rolling into balls, before dipping it into melted chocolate.
Now, I bid you with this fabulous recipe from my Nan that I have veganised for you, my lovely readers. Feel free to get creative with what you put in them, and let me know what you think!
- 55g vegan butter
- 110g icing sugar
- 85g desiccated coconut
- 55g vegan mini marshmallows
- 85g chopped nuts (I used peanuts but use whatever mix you like, pistachios would be nice)
- 300g vegan chocolate
- 3tsp freshly made coffee espresso
- Step 1 In a large bowl, cream together the icing sugar and butter using a wooden spoon (it will take time and look too powdery at first, keep working at it)
- Step 2 Once creamed together, add your marshmallows, coconut, peanuts and espresso and stir together
- Step 3 Take a tray or plate and cover with parchment paper
- Step 4 Roll your mixture into small balls, about the size of golf balls, and set aside
- Step 5 Next, melt your chocolate in the microwave on medium in 30 second bursts, stirring each time to stop it burning
- Step 6 Once melted, dip each ball into the chocolate and place back on the parchment paper
- Step 7 Repeat for all balls
- Step 8 Place in the fridge to harden
- Step 9 Serve!