As you probably know by now, my go-to sweet treat is chocolate. I will always be the one to choose a chocolate dessert, and if I’m going to choose anything for a quick treat, it’s going to be chocolate over a biscuit. That being said, sometimes I do break away from chocolate, and it’s nice to make something different. So I decided to make vegan shortbread!
This is really easy and requires minimal ingredients and effort. My favourite type of baking! We turned these into heart shapes to go with our vegan strawberry posset for Valentines Day, but you could experiment with any shape you like.
I fully believe in experimenting with different flavours when cooking. These are basic vanilla flavours, but you could swap the vanilla extract out for something different and get a bit creative. You could also dip them in chocolate as well to take them to that next level.
These should last 3 – 4 days in an airtight container, if they last that long. They’re perfect served with a cup of tea for a cosy afternoon in, or with our vegan strawberry posset.
Have a go and let us know how you get on.
Vegan Vanilla Shortbread
Simple vegan vanilla shortbread biscuits. Seve with strawberry posset or a simple cup of tea. The perfect treat to whip up if you're in a rush.
- 62g vegan butter
- 30g caster sugar + more for top of biscuits
- 90g plain flour + more for work surface
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Step 1 In a large bowl, cream together your butter and sugar
- Step 2 Next, add your flour and vanilla extract. Mix together until you have a ball of dough. You may need to use your hands
- Step 3 On a clean work surface, dust with flour
- Step 4 Roll out your dough (don’t forget to flour your rolling pin) to about 1cm high
- Step 5 With a cookie cutter, cut out your biscuit shapes
- Step 6 Keep re-rolling out your dough and cutting out shapes until you’ve used it all up
- Step 7 Place each cookie carefully on a baking sheet covered in baking parchment
- Step 8 Sprinkle the top of each biscuit with more caster sugar
- Step 9 Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Step 10 Whilst chilling, preheat your oven to 180 degrees C
- Step 11 After 30 minutes, put in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes, until they’re starting to turn golden brown (shortbread biscuits should be slightly pale)
- Step 12 Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack
- Step 13 Serve!