I love to make delicious vegan pizzas, because it’s one of those items that many people think they’d have to give up when going vegan, which simply isn’t true. Vegan pizza is delicious, and it’s becoming more and more mainstream. From Pizza Express to Zizzi’s, large pizza chains are adding vegan cheese options so that no vegan ever has to go without pizza.
As much as I love eating pizza out, I also love having it homemade. Particularly when Sam makes it, as he makes a really good homemade pizza. We love to make our own pizza dough, with delicious tomatoey sauce and go crazy with the toppings. For the cheese, we are really loving Violifes mozzarella at the moment, because it’s super melty and finishes off a vegan pizza perfectly.
Now we’ve posted a vegan pizza recipe before, but this time we wanted to get a bit more inventive with the toppings, and so here we introduce to you our Mediterranean inspired homemade pizza. Go wild in your local deli aisle, and load up on charred artichokes, sundried tomatoes and olives, because together they really make the most amazing pizza.
If you don’t want to make your pizza from scratch, you can always buy a pizza base. But really, it’s not that much effort and making it from scratch gives a superior flavour. You can find our pizza base recipe on our easy vegan homemade pizza recipe.
We hope this gives you some serious pizza inspiration, and let us know what you think if you make it yourself!
Vegan Mediterranean Homemade PIzza
A simple homemade mediterranean style vegan pizza. The best way to bring in the weekend.
- For the pizza dough
- See our homemade vegan pizza recipe (link above the recipe)
- For the pizza sauce
- 300ml passata
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 0.5 tbsp oil from a jar of sundried tomatoes
- 0.5 tsp caster sugar
- Salt to season
- For the toppings
- Vegan cheese
- Half a red onion, sliced
- Chargrilled artichokes
- Sundried tomatoes
- Handful finely chopped parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Step 1 Make your pizza dough as per our easy vegan pizza recipe
- Step 2 Whilst proving (up to step 5 in the dough recipe), make your pizza sauce. In a large saucepan add your passata, garlic powder, sundried tomato oil, sugar and salt and stir well
- Step 3 Simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes, to allow the flavours to develop
- Step 4 Remove from heat and set aside
- Step 5 Pre-heat your oven to the highest temperature it has, and if you want to ensure your pizza base has a crispy base, make sure your oven tray is pre-heated as well
- Step 6 Once your dough is ready, take out of the bowl and place on a floured worktop. Cut your dough into halves.
- Step 7 Roll your cut dough into a ball shape, then with a rolling pin, roll into a flat round pizza shape
- Step 8 Add a ladleful of the pizza sauce onto the pizza and spread evenly
- Step 9 Add your vegan cheese, then scatter across your toppings
- Step 10 Reduce your oven temperature down to 180 degrees and place your pizza in the oven
- Step 11 Cook for 8 – 10 minutes, until the dough is golden and crispy
- Step 12 Remove from the oven and finish with a sprinkle of parsley, a dash of extra virgin olive oil and some sea salt
- Step 13 Serve!