Is there anyone that doesn’t like soup? It’s so incredibly versatile and is the perfect meal for when it’s cold and wintery outside and you want something warm and comforting. There are so many options out there, and whilst grabbing a tin from the supermarket is convenient, actually making it yourself is incredibly quick and easy as well.
This is a really comforting dish for one of those many cold wintery nights, and it’s so easy there’s no excuse not to make it yourself. The butternut squash gives it a great depth of flavour, making it feel hearty, whilst the coconut milk and curry powder help to give it an unexpected kick.
What’s really great with this recipe is we’ve snuck a few extra veggies in there. This is something that I love with soup – you can fill it with loads of veggies. With this recipe you won’t even realise that you’ve got extra broccoli and cauliflower in there for those all important extra nutrients. I’m always looking for ways to get extra veg into my diet (especially green veggies), so the addition of the broccoli and cauliflower helps me to get those extra veg without compromising on taste.
This soup will keep covered in the fridge for around 3 days, if you can resist it for that long. It’s great if you make a big batch at the start of the week then have it for lunch throughout the week. You could mix and match with different toppings so that you don’t get bored. We’ve topped ours with pumpkin and sunflower seeds and a drizzle of soy cream to make it extra comforting, but get creative. We hope you enjoy.
Vegan Curried Butternut Squash Soup
A simple vegan curried butternut squash soup, packed with hidden veggies, makes a warming and comforting lunch or dinner option.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- Half head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional for serving: Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, soy cream
- Step 1 In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat your oil over a medium heat
- Step 2 Once hot, add in your onion and sauté for 2- 3 minutes until starting to soften
- Step 3 Add in the rest of your veg and sauté for another 3 minutes
- Step 4 Reduce the heat to low, cover your saucepan with a lid and leave to sweat for 15 minutes
- Step 5 Remove the lid, add in your curry powder and stir well
- Step 6 Add in your stock and coconut milk and stir well
- Step 7 Bring to a simmer and leave to simmer for 30 minutes, until veggies are soft
- Step 8 Once the veggies are soft, using a blender or hand blender, blitz soup until smooth
- Step 9 Season to taste
- Step 10 Serve!