I love muffins, but I haven’t had one in forever. Muffins and brownies are just my favourite (chocolate of course), and I’ve missed them since going vegan.
So when Sam got experimenting in the kitchen and ended up creating this insane muffin recipe, I was ecstatic. This was originally meant to be a cake recipe, but we felt that it was more suited as a muffin. On the second attempt we added in some chocolate chips and orange zest and the result are these to-die for chocolate orange muffins.
I actually found that they were even better the next day, so if you can make it through without eating them all in one go, you’ll be rewarded for your self discipline!
If you’re a big fan of chocolate, like me, go crazy with the chocolate chips and add in even more than the recipe suggests. There’s nothing better than taking a bite and getting a big chunk of chocolate, so I always think more is better.
It does seem an odd recipe at first, but it really works and is a fantastic fool-proof vegan muffin recipe, so give it a go.
Vegan Chocolate Orange Muffins
- Aquafaba from 1 tin of chickpeas
- 270ml coconut milk
- 200g vegan chocolate
- 100g vegan chocolate chips
- Zest and juice from 1 large orange
- 150g self-raising flour, sifted
- 40g caster sugar
- Step 1 Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees fan
- Step 2 In a large bowl, begin by whisking the aquafaba with an electric whisk until you have stiff peaks
- Step 3 Next, add your coconut milk to your whisked aquafaba, and then gently fold together
- Step 4 Place the 200g of chocolate in a microwave-proof bowl, and melt it in 30 second bursts on a medium heat
- Step 5 Once melted, add your orange juice and zest, stir together
- Step 6 Leave to cool slightly
- Step 7 Once cooled, gently fold the melted chocolate mixture into the aquafaba mixture
- Step 8 Next, gently fold in the sifted flour
- Step 9 Finally, stir in the 100g chocolate chips
- Step 10 Pour your muffin mixture into muffin cases and place in the oven
- Step 11 Cook for about 15-20 minutes. To check if it’s done, insert a skewer into a muffin and it should come out clean
- Step 12 Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Step 13 Serve!