Unless you’ve been living under a rock, I’m sure you’ll have seen the lettuce cup craze. Quite simply it’s when you use a a piece of lettuce in place of a carb, such as a wrap. They’ve been around for a while but it’s not something that I have ever found appealing. As a carb lover, why would you have a piece of lettuce in place of the yummy carb?
That all changed a few weeks ago when I went around to a family meal and were served these Chinese style lettuce wraps. They completely changed my mind about them. The filling was an aromatic mix of Chinese spices, topped with a dollop of Hoisin sauce and served in a crunchy lettuce leaf. It makes it light, which makes it a great starter, and in actual fact, it wouldn’t be right in a wrap.
So now I am fully converted to the lettuce cup craze, and just had to re-create the recipe for you, my lovely followers. The filling is a mix of mushrooms, carrots, spring onions, ginger, garlic and water chestnuts. The only slightly challenging part is to ensure that you cut the veg very finely. If you have an attachment on your food processor, then use it. Otherwise, you’ll need a bit of time and patience.
This is fab as a light starter or appetizer to a meal. If you find lettuce pieces small enough, they could also be served as canapés. It’s great because it’s healthy and light and will be a real crowd pleaser.
Vegan Chinese Style Lettuce Wraps
Healthy and light, these vegan Chinese style lettuce wraps are a great starter or canapé
- 220g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 70g carrots, finely chopped
- 5 spring onions, finely chopped
- 225g water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 baby gem lettuce (select the best 10 leaves)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- To serve: Hoisin sauce
- Step 1 In a large frying pan over a medium heat, heat up your olive oil
- Step 2 Begin by adding your garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute until fragrant
- Step 3 Next, add in your finely chopped carrots and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to soften
- Step 4 Add your mushrooms, spring onions and water chestnuts and stir
- Step 5 Add your soy sauce, Chinese five spice and chilli and stir
- Step 6 Cook, for about 5 – 10 minutes, until all veg are soft and cooked through
- Step 7 Season with salt and pepper
- Step 8 On a large board, lay our your lettuce leaves
- Step 9 Add a spoonful of your mix into each lettuce leaf
- Step 10 Top with a dash of hoisin sauce
- Step 11 Serve!