Coleslaw. A traditional accompaniment to most British BBQs. Creamy and tangy, I used to love it before I turned vegan. Although I was always slightly wary by just how much mayo there used to be.
This slaw is a take on the classic. A mix of beetroot, carrot and cabbage, with the addition of some apple, it was something I originally made to serve with our BBQ pulled jackfruit sliders. But really, it would be great as a side dish for anything.
I didn’t overload this one with mayo; I only used a small bit. I didn’t want the mayo overpowering the fresh veggies, just as I didn’t want it overpowering the sliders. I think this is a great mix of fresh, crunchy veggies, sweetness from the apple and creaminess from the mayo.
If you’re interested in it, I’d really recommend pairing it with the pulled jackfruit sliders, as it goes great with them.
Vegan Apple and Beetroot Slaw
- 2 beetroots, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- Half head of a small white cabbage
- 2 apples
- 50g vegan mayonnaise
- Step 1 Begin by grating or julienning all of your vegetables, set aside
- Step 2 Grate the apple and then place in a colander or sieve
- Step 3 Squeeze the grated apple to try and remove as much juice as possible
- Step 4 Place all of your fruit and veg into a large bowl
- Step 5 Add your mayonnaise
- Step 6 Stir well together and season as desired
- Step 7 Serve!