Summer may be coming to an end here in the UK, but my love for tomatoes continues all year round.
Typically I love tomatoes with just a sprinkle of sea salt. Topping them with some fresh basil or pesto is equally good, but this time I wanted to experiment a little bit. During the summer we planted a small herb garden, which has given me loads of inspiration for ways to include fresh herbs into my meals.
I decided to get a bit creative and mix up the normal tomato and basil combination. I really wanted to use heirloom tomatoes, but unfortunately didn’t come across any so used alternatives, but if you have them about then use them. In this recipe I used a combination of red and yellow cherry tomatoes, vine tomatoes and Jack Hawkins tomatoes.
For the herbs, I used a combination of fresh parsley, basil and mint, and added in some pistachios for a bit of extra crunch. It works really well and is a great way to showcase the flavour of the tomatoes and the herbs together.
Give it a go and serve on a large platter at your next BBQ.
Tomato and Herb Salad
A simple fresh and healthy tomato and herb salad, using a mix of fresh tomatoes, basil, parsley and mint.
- Handful red cherry tomatoes
- Handful yellow cherry tomatoes
- 4 medium vine tomatoes
- 2 Jack Hawkins tomatoes
- Quarter of a red onion, thinly sliced
- Large handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Large handful fresh basil, finely chopped
- Small handful fresh mint, finely chopped
- 20g shelled pistachios, finely chopped
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 tsp sea salt
- Step 1 Finely slice your vine tomatoes and Jack Hawkins tomatoes into rounds
- Step 2 Cut your cherry tomatoes into half
- Step 3 On a large plate layer your tomatoes, they can overlap if needed
- Step 4 Scatter over the sliced red onion
- Step 5 In a small bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and mix well
- Step 6 Pour the herb dressing over the tomatoes
- Step 7 Cover and place in the fridge until needed
- Step 8 Serve!