This recipe is part of my Vegan Christmas series.
What’s Christmas without taking a healthy vegetable and then pushing it in the complete opposite direction and making it saucy and cheesy? Cauliflower cheese has been always one of my absolute favourites at Christmas, and when I turned vegan, I wondered how I’d survive Christmas without it.
However, no worries, as this vegan cauliflower cheese is here to save the day. Adapted from Honestly Healthy, this is so good that even meat-eaters will love it. The best part is that it’s not quite as bad for you as a regular cauliflower cheese, which I think is a win. The smooth, creamy sauce goes perfectly with the soft cauliflower and is a great accompaniment to any Christmas roast.
This serves 4-6, depending on the size of your potions, and as always, can be made the day before. I’d recommend getting it to the point before it goes in the oven, leave covered in the fridge until you need it, then cook as directed.
Vegan Cauliflower Cheese
- 1 large cauliflower
- 60g vegan butter
- 60g white flour
- 600ml almond milk (or an alternative dairy-free milk)
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 15g ground almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Step 1 Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees fan
- Step 2 Begin by cutting your cauliflower into bite-sized florets
- Step 3 Add your cauliflower to a large saucepan and fill with water
- Step 4 Bring to a boil and once boiling, boil for 2 minutes
- Step 5 Drain and place in a single layer on a baking dish
- Step 6 In another saucepan, melt your butter over a low heat
- Step 7 Once melted, add you flour and mix into a paste
- Step 8 Next, add your milk, nutritional yeast, seasoning and grate in some nutmeg if using
- Step 9 Whisk to combine
- Step 10 Over a medium heat, continue to whisk until the sauce begins to thicken slightly. This can take a while so do not loose heart! About 5 to 10 minutes, and you should see a slight change in consistency
- Step 11 Pour your sauce over your cauliflower
- Step 12 Sprinkle the ground almonds on top
- Step 13 Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown
- Step 14 Serve!
- Step 15 As noted above, this can be made the night before up until step 13, then place in the oven when needed.