This is part of my Vegan Christmas series.
Nothing quite says it’s time for a Christmas meal than roast potatoes and parsnips. Whilst I’m definitely more a parsnip girl than potato, I still wouldn’t pass up a perfectly crisp and fluffy roasty.
The perfect roast potato is one that is golden and crisp on the outside, but beautifully fluffy on the inside, whilst the nutty aromatic flavour of a parsnip is really not one to be missed on Christmas day.
How many of these you make is completely up to your family. Here I’ve done 700g of potatoes and 700g of parsnips, which would serve at least 4 people comfortably. If you’re not sure how many to do, guess around 3 potatoes and 2 parsnips for one person. It’s Christmas though, and there’s nothing worse than running out of food; do more and have them as leftovers the next day!
The type of potato you use is up to you, but you want to pick one that’s good for roasting. If you’re not sure, most will tell you on the packets what they’re best for.
You can prepare parts of this recipe the day before, but I wouldn’t cook them until they’re needed. Par-boil and leave them in a bowl in the fridge until they’re ready to cook, then bring them out 15 minutes before you put them in the oven to bring them to room temp. It’s all about keeping things simple, so you don’t want to be peeling and cutting veg on Christmas morning.
The Perfect Roast Potatoes and Parsnips
- 700g potatoes
- 700g parsnips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 190 degrees fan
- Step 2 On a large baking tray, cover completely with olive oil and place in the oven to heat
- Step 3 Peel your potatoes and parsnips
- Step 4 Cut your potatoes into large chunks, usually just cut in half
- Step 5 Place your potatoes into a large saucepan and cover with water
- Step 6 Bring to the boil, and once boiling, boil for 4 minutes
- Step 7 Drain in a colander and then toss them about. You should see them begin to fluff around the edges, which will help make them soft and fluffy once cooked. Set aside
- Step 8 Next, cut your parsnips into quarters and remove the middle section if possible
- Step 9 Place parsnips into a large saucepan and cover with water
- Step 10 Bring to the boil, and once boiling, boil for 4 minutes
- Step 11 Drain in a colander and set aside
- Step 12 Once the oven and oil is hot, bring out the baking tray. Be careful as it is full of hot oil!
- Step 13 Place your potatoes and parsnips on the baking tray (you should hear a hiss) and season
- Step 14 Put back into the oven for about 40 minutes, checking half way through to turn
- Step 15 Serve!
- Step 16 If you are making these the day before, as stated above, only prepare up to the point where you put them in the oven.