This recipe is part of my Vegan Christmas series.
This has been a staple in our family Christmas’s for years. In fact, I can never remember a time when this wasn’t part of our Christmas meal.
Swede and carrot mash is so simple and so easy, but so delicious. It’s far more interesting than just having boring boiled carrots on the side. The mix of swede and carrot compliments each other perfectly, and the addition a bit of vegan butter helps to make it perfectly smooth and silky.
If you’re having it for Christmas day, you can make it ahead the night before and then just re-heat in the microwave on the day. Simple. Make sure to cover with cling film (piece the top with a fork) and re-heat on high for about 5 – 10 minutes, stirring half way through to make sure it’s piping hot.
This recipe should be enough for 4 large portions. However if you need to adjust, just make sure to do equal amounts of carrot to swede and make as much or as little as you need.
Vegan Swede and Carrot Mash
- 500g carrots
- 500g swede
- 30g vegan butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Peel your swede and carrots and cut into small chunks. It does not matter what they look like, but the smaller you cut them, the quicker they will cook
- Step 2 Place swede and carrot into a large saucepan (if you do not have a saucepan big enough, you can cook the carrots first and the swede second)
- Step 3 Cover with water and bring to the boil
- Step 4 Once boiling, boil for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces. You want them really soft so if you are unsure, just boil for a bit longer
- Step 5 Drain and place in a large bowl with butter and seasoning
- Step 6 Mash until completely smooth
- Step 7 Serve!
- Step 8 As noted above, this can be made the night before.