I’ve been doing some recipe practicing and for one of my recipes I needed to use condensed milk. I have seen online that you can get coconut condensed milk, but ordering things like that online (if you even can), can be expensive and not always practical. So instead I decided to make my own.
This vegan condensed milk is super delicious and very sweet, just like the real thing. It’s perfect to use in recipes like normal condensed milk, but I think it would also be great poured onto summer berries (or just eaten straight – no judgements).
Vegan Condensed Milk
- 650ml soy milk
- 150g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Step 1 In a large saucepan on a medium heat, add the milk, sugar and salt and whisk frequently.
- Step 2 You will need to allow the mixture to cook for about an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours. You want the mixture to reduce by about half. During this time keep going back every 5 to 10 minutes to give it a whisk. Do not let it boil, it should be at a mild simmer.
- Step 3 Once the mixture has reduced by half, add in the vanilla and whisk.
- Step 4 Remove the mixture from the heat and place in a container or jar. Once slightly cooled, place in the fridge for a couple of hours where it will thicken.
- Step 5 Enjoy as you would with normal condensed milk!