I’m not really a fan of leafy salads, I find them a bit boring. However, add in a grain instead and I’m much happier. This summer quinoa salad definitely hits the spot and is fab as a side dish with a BBQ or even just as a meal on it’s own.
We had a family BBQ recently and so I made this to go with it which worked really well. The mix of olives, sundried tomatoes and blueberries make for an unusual combination but it’s delicious. The tangy, tart dressing helps to perfectly finish the salad and I think this would convert even the biggest salad haters. It’s so different and perfect for those hot, sunny, summer nights. Serve it with our miso vegetable skewers and sweet potato and black bean burgers for a great vegan BBQ.
Summer Quinoa Salad
- 540g quinoa cooked with a stock cube
- 50g baby spinach leaves
- 65g pitted green olives, halved
- 35g sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 75g blueberries
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Begin by cooking your quinoa. I like to crumble a stock cube into the water when it is cooking to give it some extra flavour. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- Step 2 In a bowl, mix together the cooled quinoa, spinach, olives, sundried tomatoes and blueberries. Leave some spare to decorate on top.
- Step 3 For the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, agave nectar, dijon mustard, garlic clove and seasoning.
- Step 4 Pour the dressing over the salad and stir well to combine.
- Step 5 Finish with the remaining sundried tomatoes, olives and blueberries to decorate.
- Step 6 Serve!