It’s June, which means it’s summer, but if you looked outside you’d really think it was the middle of winter. It’s a bit disappointing really because I love being outside, especially in the evening, enjoying lazy summer barbecues.
As it stands, that hasn’t really happened, and at the moment barbecues mean standing outside in the rain trying to cook with an umbrella over your head. So I haven’t had as many as I would have liked.
On Sunday though I decided to make a delicious sweet potato and black bean vegan burger; it was meant to be put on the barbecue but the weather decided that wasn’t going to happen, so I fried them instead. They’d work perfectly on the barbecue though and it’s definitely something I’ll be doing in the future.
These are the perfect mix of sweet, spicy and smokey. I topped the vegan burger off with chipotle mayo, guacamole and spicy, crispy onion rings. Perfect!
The only thing to be aware of is that because the burger is made from sweet potato it’s very soft. When cooking you need to treat it with care.
I also stuffed the bun with juicy red tomatoes, lots of lettuce and yummy pickles. I’ve included the recipe for the vegan burgers, guacamole, chipotle mayo and spicy onion rings, so you can recreate this delicious burger exactly.
Smokey Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers with Crispy Onion Rings
- 1 large sweet potato/2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp milled flax seeds
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp chipotle paste
- 1 tsp spicy rub (I used a spice mix from Waitrose)
- 40g breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Step 1 Begin by pricking your sweet potato all over with a fork, and then cooking for an hour in an oven pre-heated to 180 degrees
- Step 2 Once the sweet potato is soft, remove from the oven until cool enough to handle
- Step 3 Whilst the sweet potato is cooling, make your flax egg. Mix your milled flax seeds in a small bowl with 2.5 tbsp of cold water. Leave in the fridge for at least 10 minutes to firm up
- Step 4 Add your olive oil to a frying pan and heat the pan on a medium heat until the oil is hot. Add your finely chopped onions and minced garlic, and sauté until soft and translucent. Set aside to cool
- Step 5 Next, scoop the sweet potato flesh from the skin and place in a large bowl. Mash with a fork until there are no lumps
- Step 6 Add in your drained black beans. You can mash these into the sweet potato if you wish, or leave them whole. I mashed them slightly so there was a mix of mashed and full beans
- Step 7 Add your sautéed onions and garlic, as well as all of the spices, chipotle paste and seasoning
- Step 8 Finally, add in the chilled flax egg and breadcrumbs. Stir until everything is fully combined
- Step 9 Feel free to taste the mixture at this point to ensure you are happy with the spices and seasoning. Adjust to taste if necessary
- Step 10 Cover the mixture with cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Step 11 Once chilled, take the mixture and shape into 4 large patties. The mixture will be soft to work with. Place on a plate, cover and return to the fridge until needed
- Step 12 Once ready to eat, heat a large frying pan with olive oil over a medium heat. Once hot, place patties in the pan and allow to cook for 3/4 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and repeat on the other side. As the patties will be soft, try to only move them once
- Step 13 Serve!
- 3 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Step 1 Combine all ingredients into a small bowl and mix
- Step 2 Leave in the fridge to chill until needed.
- 1 large avocado
- 1 vine tomato
- Half a red onion
- Juice from half a lime
- Half a jalapeño, seeds removed
- Salt to taste
- Step 1 Scoop the flesh from the avocado and place in a large bowl
- Step 2 Mash the avocado with a fork until no lumps remain
- Step 3 Cut the tomato in half and scoop out the seeds, discard. Then cut the tomato finely, before adding to the avocado
- Step 4 Finely cut the red onion and jalapeño and add to the avocado mixture
- Step 5 Add in the lime juice and sea salt
- Step 6 Mix everything to combine and taste. I personally like a lot of salt so adjust as necessary
- Step 7 Put the avocado pit back into the bowl (this stops the guac from going brown) and cover with cling film, before returning to the fridge until needed.
Spicy Onion Rings
- 130g plain flour
- 225ml water
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 large white onions
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Step 1 Begin by creating the batter. Mix the flour, water, salt and spice together until combined
- Step 2 In a deep saucepan, heat your vegetable oil until hot (about 190 degrees)
- Step 3 Cut your onions into large rings, before dipping into the batter and carefully placing them into the hot oil
- Step 4 Allow to fry in the hot oil until golden brown
- Step 5 Drain on kitchen paper
- 4 burger buns
- Step 1 Thinly slice the tomatoes and gherkins, and chop up the lettuce (if using)
- Step 2 Place the tomato and lettuce on the bottom half of your burger roll
- Step 3 Add your burger patty, chipotle mayo, guacamole and gherkins
- Step 4 Put the top of the bun on and secure with a skewer
- Step 5 Finish off with delicious crispy onion rings
- Step 6 Enjoy!