As vegans, it can be difficult when you get invited around to someones house for dinner. Aside from feeling like you’re making life difficult, it can also be concerning that the person hosting doesn’t completely understand veganism. Do they know the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan? All the different things to avoid?
This is exactly what happened to myself and Sam the other day when we were invited to a work dinner party. Even after I’d spoken with the host about it, I was still unsure. I also felt like we were making life much harder, so I offered to take something and we were asked to bring a dessert.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how this epic vegan chocolate tart came about. We wanted to take something that was easy, but also was so damn bloody delicious that no one would believe it was vegan.
The base is made from Oreos, and then filled with a rich, creamy chocolate filling. To top it off, we decorated with strawberries and edible flowers to make it a real showstopper.
This tart is super easy and quick to make, and is completely fool-proof. Make sure that the base and the filling go hard though so that it all sets nicely before you decorate.
We also recommend that for the vegan butter part of the recipe that you use our vegan butter. You don’t need to leave it to set, just make it up and add it in (rather than setting it and re-melting it, which would take longer).
Everyone absolutely loved it and it was a complete hit. We totally recommend this dessert if you’re heading out somewhere and need to bring something along because it takes no time at all but is seriously impressive.
If you want to give the recipe a watch, head on over to our Facebook page to watch the video or watch the video above.
Epic Vegan Chocolate Tart
- 500g Oreos (or other vegan biscuit)
- 170g vegan butter (recommendation above)
- 500g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 150g caster sugar
- 300g cashews, soaked
- 570ml soy milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 punnet strawberries
- Edible flowers (optional)
- Step 1 In a blender (or in a sandwich bag with a rolling pin), crush your Oreos until they resemble a fine breadcrumb and there are no large or hard bits left
- Step 2 In a large bowl, add your crushed Oreos and 120g melted butter. Stir together until well combined
- Step 3 Pour your Oreo mixture into a tart tin and push down with your hands or the back of the spoon to completely cover the base and the sides with the mixture. Make sure you’re pushing down to compact the mixture and fill in any gaps
- Step 4 Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to harden up
- Step 5 Whilst your base is in the fridge, make the filling. In a blender, place your soaked cashews and soy milk and blend until smooth
- Step 6 Pour your cashew cream into a heavy bottomed saucepan and add your caster sugar, the remaining 50g of vegan butter and vanilla extract
- Step 7 Place over a medium heat and keep stirring until sugar has dissolved and the mixture begins to lightly simmer
- Step 8 In a large bowl, tip your broken chocolate and then pour over your warm mixture
- Step 9 Stir until all the chocolate has melted and the mixture is completely smooth, this can take between 5 – 10 minutes, depending on how hot the cream mixture was, so don’t loose faith
- Step 10 Take your base out of the fridge and pour in the chocolate mixture. If you have some mixture left, pour into a glass and keep as an extra dessert for later!
- Step 11 Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour, until completely set
- Step 12 Once the filling is hard, carefully remove the tart tin, then it’s time to decorate. Decorate with whole and halved strawberries and edible flowers, in any design you wish. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve
- Step 13 Serve!
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £13.20Was: £15.20
Price: £7.50Was: £9.95
Price: £18.59Was: £20.76