I love dark chocolate. I’ve built up my tolerance to the point where I can quite happily eat an entire bar of 85% dark chocolate. I never really get when people say that they only eat one square of dark chocolate because it satisfies their cravings and is too dark to eat much more, because I could easily eat the whole thing.
Homemade vegan raw chocolate is something I really love because it’s so dark. It’s not all that bad for you either because of the cacao powder. If you love dark chocolate then I really recommend these – although they really are dark, so if you haven’t built up your tolerance you might find them bitter at first.
You can adjust the amount of sweetener to suit your tastes, although the more sweetener, the less ‘healthy’ they become, so keep that in mind.
You can also experiment with different toppings. Be aware that when putting different flavours into the main mixture (I’ve experimented with orange juice before) it can cause the mixture to split.
Here I’ve done two versions – hazelnut and peanut butter. For the hazelnut, I simply dropped in a few hazelnuts into the mixture before putting in the fridge. For the peanut butter one, I melted some peanut butter and put it on top. Both delicious.
I put my chocolates into mini muffin cases in a mini muffin tin, but you can use whatever moulds you have available.
Raw Vegan Chocolate Cupes
- 50g cacao powder
- 50g melted coconut oil
- 15ml agave nectar (or sweetener or choice)
- Toppings: hazelnuts and peanut butter
- 6 mini muffin cases
- Step 1 Prepare your moulds by placing the mini muffin cases into the muffin tin to keep them in place.
- Step 2 Sift your cacao powder into the melted coconut oil and stir to combine.
- Step 3 Add in your sweetener and stir until fully incorporated.
- Step 4 Pour mixture into their cases.
- Step 5 If using nuts as toppings, place a few hazelnuts into each case now.
- Step 6 Put in the fridge for about 30 minutes until hard.
- Step 7 Once hard, you can top with peanut butter. Simply melt the peanut butter to a pouring consistency and then pour onto the hardened chocolates. Place back in the fridge.
- Step 8 Once ready, serve as they are or remove the muffin cases.
- Step 9 Enjoy!