Another day, another dessert. I do just love cooking and baking, so even though I keep wanting to make healthy desserts and food, I end up getting sucked into making ‘bad’ chocolately desserts instead.
Anyway, I’ve always loved jaffa cakes and now as a vegan that’s no longer possible. I saw a video to make a giant jaffa cake at home and knew that I just had to make my own vegan version.
It turned out really great. What’s not to love about a giant vegan jaffa cake? Light, airy sponge, topped with delicious orange jelly and coated in smooth dark chocolate. Perfect!
As always, I’d love to know how you get on.
Recipe adapted from UniLad
Giant Vegan Jaffa Cake
- 225g dairy-free margarine
- 225g caster sugar
- Egg replacer for the equivalent of 4 eggs
- 225g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 760ml smooth orange juice
- 80ml orange liquor (optional: if not using replace with 80ml of orange juice)
- 4 tbsp agar agar flakes
- 200g dairy-free dark chocolate
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Step 2 Cream together the butter and sugar until combined
- Step 3 Add in the egg replacer, flour, baking powder and vanilla extract and mix (the mixture will be fairly thick)
- Step 4 Get a frying pan and line with greaseproof paper
- Step 5 Pour the mixture into the prepared frying pan and bake in over for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown
- Step 6 Remove from the oven and allow to cool until removing
- Step 7 For the jelly, boil the orange juice and orange liquor in a saucepan
- Step 8 Once boiling, add in the agar agar flakes until fully dissolved
- Step 9 Take the frying pan that you used for the sponge and line with cling film. Pour the orange jelly mixture into the pan and leave in the fridge until set
- Step 10 Once your jelly has set, carefully place on top of the sponge. You might wish to trim the edges of the jelly if overhanging
- Step 11 In a heatproof bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave on high in 30 second bursts
- Step 12 Allow to cool for a minute or so
- Step 13 Carefully cover the sponge and jelly mixture with the melted chocolate. Try and get it around the sides as well
- Step 14 Leave in the fridge to set
- Step 15 Serve!