Coming up with dinner ideas is something I always struggle with. I don’t like having the same thing twice, unless I really, really love it, which means you’ll often find me mid-week trying to come up with ideas for the rest of the week.
One of my go-tos though is a simple casserole. They’re super easy to make, you just throw everything into a big pot, and that’s it! It’s a great option when you’re feeling too lazy to cook but still want something healthy and homemade. I like to make more servings than I need, because then I can have it for leftovers the next day for lunch or dinner.
This casserole has loads of different veggies, as well as chickpeas to help bulk it out and give it some of that all important protein. You can get pretty creative when making this and throw in any veggies you have lying around. My absolute favourite vegetable in a casserole is carrots, so I always like to add in loads of them, but you can sub them for pretty much any veg you want.
Serve this with some crusty bread and some steamed greens for a healthy, warming mid-week dinner. Enjoy!
Vegan Comforting Chickpea Casserole
A simple vegan casserole for those days you want something hearty, comforting and homemade
- 2 onions, finely diced
- Half head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 small butternut squash, cut into 1cm cubes
- Half swede, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 6 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 250g frozen peas
- 400g tin chickpeas
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 1tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- 400ml tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Step 1 Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees fan
- Step 2 In a large oven-proof casserole dish or saucepan, add your olive oil and heat over a medium heat
- Step 3 Add your chopped onion and sauté until soft
- Step 4 Once soft, add your tin tomato, sundried tomato paste, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil
- Step 5 Once boiling, add in your vegetables and chickpeas and bring back to a boil
- Step 6 Once boiling, remove from the heat, cover, and put in the oven
- Step 7 Leave in the oven for 1 hour – 1 hour 15, until veg are soft
- Step 8 Remove from the oven and season to taste
- Step 9 Serve!