I wanted to try something a bit different for this recipe, and so for this, I took inspiration from the vegan fish tacos we had back at the start of the year at Smith & Daughters. I love a taco, and so I wanted to get creative.
These tacos are delicious. Tofu is cut into strips and marinated in nori to get that distinct fishy flavour. It’s subtle when you add all of the elements together, but then you’ll occasionally get that hit of saltiness which is really great. To go with the tofu ‘fish’ we have a kiwi salsa, cashew cream sauce, shredded cabbage and jalapeños.
With a hint of lime and a subtle kick, these tacos are fab. The kiwi salsa is really different, and helps to make these tacos unique from any others you’ll have had before. For these, I’ve used small tortilla wraps, so they’re a bit like mini tacos. I like them like this, but if you wanted to get larger ones then go for it. Depending on the size of your tortilla wraps will depend on how many you make.
These are a great sharing meal idea, either as a starter or part of a main course. Put them all on a large platter and get everyone to help themselves. Alternatively, put out all the separate elements and then get everyone to make their own individual ones.
I can’t express to you how delicious these are, so go ahead, give them a go and let me know how you get on!
Vegan Tofu Fish Tacos with Kiwi Salsa
- For the tofu
- 1 block of firm tofu, pressed for at least 10 minutes
- 3 nori sheets
- 3tbsp soy sauce
- 1tsp miso paste
- 0.5tsp dijon mustard
- 1.5tsp lime juice
- For the kiwi salsa
- 3 kiwis
- 3tsp juice from a jar of pickled jalapeños
- 2tsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
- For the cashew cream sauce
- 80g raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 160ml soy milk
- 4tbsp lime juice
- 1tsp dijon mustard
- 1tsp juice from a jar of pickled jalapeños
- 0.5tsp miso paste
- 2tsp apple cider vinegar
- For the tacos
- 12 mini tortillas
- Quarter head of red cabbage, shredded
- Pickled jalapeños
- Step 1 Begin by making the marinade for your tofu. In a blender, blitz your nori sheets to create a fine powder
- Step 2 Tip your nori powder into a bowl, then add your soy sauce, miso paste, dijon mustard and lime juice. Mix together. It will be quite a thick paste rather than a liquid marinade, so don’t be alarmed
- Step 3 Take your pressed tofu, and cut the block into 0.5cm strips. Place these in a flat baking dish and then cover with the marinade
- Step 4 Make sure the tofu is well covered in the marinade, using your fingers or a spoon to ensure even cover
- Step 5 Set aside until needed (at least 30 minutes) and turn every 15 minutes
- Step 6 Whilst your tofu is marinading, make your kiwi salsa. Peel your kiwis and cut into small pieces, then place in a bowl
- Step 7 To your kiwis, add your jalapeño juice, lime juice and a small pinch of salt. Mix well to combine then place in the fridge until needed
- Step 8 Now make your cashew cream sauce. In a high powered blender, add your soaked cashews, soy milk, lime juice, dijon mustard, jalapeño juice, miso paste and apple cider vinegar
- Step 9 Blitz until smooth, then place in the fridge until needed
- Step 10 Once your tofu has been marinading for at least 30 minutes, it’s time to cook. In a saucepan, heat up 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil over a medium heat
- Step 11 Once hot, add your marinated tofu strips
- Step 12 Fry for 3-4 minutes each side, until brown and crispy
- Step 13 Now you’re ready to serve. Heat your mini tortillas as per package instructions, then load up with tofu strips, shredded cabbage, kiwi salsa, cashew sauce and jalapeños
- Step 14 Serve!
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: £15.28Was: £20.76