I am all about the quick and healthy dinners at the moment. When I come back from work, I want something I can make quickly before I head off to the gym. I don’t have time to be slaving away for hours making dinner, and I suspect you don’t either.
This dinner ended up being surprisingly delicious and so good that I knew I had to share it. The longest part of the whole thing is roasting the butternut squash, but if you do that in advance the whole thing won’t take much longer than 20 minutes, maximum, to make.
Whilst this recipe is insanely simple, it is incredibly flavourful. The lentils and butternut squash pair together perfectly, topped off with fresh, crisp courgette and finished with sundried tomatoes. You’ll be astounded by just how good it actually is!
In the recipe I’ve used a tin of lentils, but feel free to soak your own if you prefer. I’ve become a big fan of lentils lately, so make sure to check out my lentil and chickpea curry. Also alter the ingredients to your liking. I’m a chuck it all in kinda gal, so do the same and experiment! The worcestershire sauce is the most important, as that’s what gives it its unique flavour. The normal worcestershire sauce you buy in the supermarkets isn’t vegan, but it’s easy to pick up online or in good health and vegan shops. Give it a go for the perfect mid-week healthy meal.
Lentils and Butternut Squash with Grilled Courgette
- 1 400g tin of lentils, drained
- 200g (half a tin) of diced tomatoes
- 1x onion, finely chopped
- 1x butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cube vegetable stock, crumbled
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1x courgette, thinly sliced lengthways
- 30g sundried tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to season
- Step 1 Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees fan
- Step 2 On a baking sheet, place your cubed butternut squash, season
- Step 3 Place in the oven for 40 minutes, or until soft
- Step 4 Remove and set aside
- Step 5 Heat your olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat
- Step 6 Add your chopped onion, and sauté until soft
- Step 7 Next, add your lentils and tinned tomatoes. Stir well
- Step 8 Add your worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard and crumble in your stock cube
- Step 9 Stir well and season (taste before seasoning, as stock cube can already be quite salty)
- Step 10 Leave to simmer over a low heat
- Step 11 Whilst your lentils are simmering, pre heat your grill to 200 degrees
- Step 12 On a baking sheet, lay out your courgette and season
- Step 13 Place in the grill. Keep an eye on them as they can grill quickly, and when they start to brown, turn over
- Step 14 Now, add your butternut squash to your lentils, still well and allow to heat through
- Step 15 Once your courgette has grilled on both sides, remove and set aside
- Step 16 When the butternut squash has warmed through, remove from the heat and place into bowls. Top your lentils with the grilled courgette and sundried tomatoes
- Step 17 Serve!